One of my daily concerns is to check the feasibility of magnetic designs. As the customer requested to change the design of our vacuum motor, I proposed to build a simulation model of the magnetic field at the outside of the vacuum motors. Because the overall field strength must remain lower than the earth magnetic field, I am analyzing whether this change will increase the magnetic field. I make sure that every effect on the field strength is taken into account in order to achieve the right predictions.
While simulations are running I meet with Ron, one of our mechanical engineers in the vacuum motor project, and Nick, our production engineer who is an expert in the potting process. We discuss on how to improve the potting tool we used to manufacture the prototypes of the vacuum motors. We have some ideas on how to make the mechanical tolerances of the motors even better, so we draw a new concept for the tool on the sketch board in the meeting room.
After a nice lunch the simulation results of the magnetic field are ready and I make a presentation out of them to show to the customer.
In the afternoon I am working on a different project. It is also an actuator for a semiconductor customer, only this is a completely different application. I like the fact that you can get a lot of different experiences in different projects.
Around 5 PM, I get on my bike and go home, another good day at Prodrive Technologies.
I like that you can get a lot of different experiences in different projects
Mechatronics engineer profile
Pros and cons
Both theoretical to practical aspects
Flexibility of working hours
A lot of responsibility
Freedom in work
Provisioning of free lunch and dinner
Collecting too many air miles on long airplane rides to customers in Asia
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application
- Aptitude test
- Employment conditions