AVIDIS is a low latency audio/video distribution solution over IP, applicable for several types of markets and applications. Prodrive Technologies supplies the hardware and the software as an off the shelf product. The video quality is 4K60 and can offer any required communication/control interface. The product is highly configurable to meet all the demands of a customer’s application. Think about KVM, matrix displays, video walls and multi-view applications.
When I was looking for a place to graduate, Prodrive Technologies caught my attention. I visited Prodrive Technologies and had a nice conversation with the product architects about the assignment they had in mind.
For AVIDIS, there was the need to automate the testing of all image processing functions (e.g. scaling, filtering etc.) that are used within the AVIDIS products. All image processing implementations (in firmware) are verified bitwise with the developed reference model. This simulation is included in the Continuous Integration (CI) environment to verify the quality of the firmware and software implementation. What I liked most about this assignment is that it does not only cover programming, but also diving deep in the hardware implementation and video processing algorithms. After my graduation, I continued to work on this simulation model for a while.
Next thing was developing an additional layer of security to the products we deliver to our AVIDIS customers. This means communication needs to be encrypted using the latest techniques and a form of authentication needs to be added. I did research on the best practices and then I designed the new secure communication protocol.
Currently I am finishing up my security part and, in the meantime, I am building new test setups for AVIDIS and for another project. Creating a test plan, gathering all needed hardware and creating test software are now my daily tasks.
Having responsibilities instead of tasks
Embedded Software Engineer profile
BSc, BEng or MSc in Computer Science or related study
C/C++ for DSPs/MCUs for low software level
Implementing control loops and microcontrollers like ARM (Cortex-M) or TI C2000 etc.
Pros and cons
Free lunch and dinner
Work with awesome hardware
Having responsibilities instead of tasks
Nice and smart colleagues
Make my own lunch in the weekends
After my morning commute (either half a minute or 45 minutes depending on whether I am working from home or not) I will start with a cup of coffee. After being recharged, I check my email and messages.
When I am up to date, I will set my actions for the day, I will usually start by reviewing pull requests from my FPGA colleagues. It is important to be up-to-date with changes on both the FPGA architecture as well as hardware changes.
As a digital designer in the ETS (our in-house test system) team I try to be the link between the FPGA engineers and the hardware engineers. This requires some knowledge of both FPGA design and (digital) electronics.
In the scope of a project it starts at selecting the correct FPGA devices for a specific functionality, designing the internal architecture and selecting compatible peripheral devices. Then, as mentioned before, during the design phase it is important to make sure changes in both hardware and FPGA design remain compatible.
For ETS FPGA development I am also involved in setting up and maintaining the project environment and dependencies. This includes library repositories, test benches and automatic build environments.
What I love about Prodrive is the flexibility and freedom in finding your passion. Prodrive has allowed me to find the subject that I am truly passionate about, in a short amount of time I got the chance to work in and get a feeling for different functions. From analogue electronics design, to test development and digital electronics design.
If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life.
With enough curiosity and drive, experience becomes obsolete
Digital Electronics Designer profile
BSc, BEng, MSc in Electrical engineering or a related technical education
Pros and cons
Flexible hours, start and stop whenever you want
Working with motivated and driven people
The freedom to try things and implement them if the work
No ‘but we’ve always been doing it like that’
‘a passion for technology’ apparently doesn’t mean ‘a passion for quality coffee’
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 vacation days
- Retirement plan
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.