Topology optimization for a cooling system
Thomas| Mechanical engineering
I recently started my graduation assignment at Prodrive Technologies, in which I will apply topology optimization to a cooling system of one of the custom power electronic systems that Prodrive Technologies is developing. Topology optimization is a tool that computes the optimal material distribution within a fixed domain, given a certain goal (i.e. to maximize stiffness for a given weight). I have applied topology optimization before, when I was part of the Formula Student Team Delft. I liked the method a lot, because it can be used as a good inspirational tool for your designs, but it can also be extended so that it is possible to directly generate designs that can be manufactured (using Additive Manufacturing). When my current mentor at Prodrive Technologies told me that he looked for an intern to optimize the cooling performance of one of the highest power-density components that Prodrive Technologies develops (a SiCFET power switching module), I knew immediately that I could apply and broaden my knowledge! Therefore my goal is to develop and prototype an optimized design and compare its efficiency to a previously used design.
I knew immediately that I could apply and broaden my knowledge
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1300 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Young and dynamic culture
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.