Pushing the boundaries of Motion & Mechatronics
Within Prodrive Technologies, Motion & Mechatronics is the technology program that focuses on the development and manufacturing of linear & rotating electric machines, motion controllers, motion software and integrating all these products in entire mechatronic systems. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team including people with backgrounds in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, electro-mechanical engineering, production process engineering and many more. You will develop prototypes and series products within project teams in close collaboration with production.
I am currently part of a project team that is designing an entire motion stage for a high-end semiconductor application that requires an accuracy of 1 µm over a stroke of almost 3 meters with high repeatability. This motion stage will contain a total of 8 motion axes and I am mainly responsible for the detailed design of two of these motion axes. My main challenge is to design a light-weight and stiff design in a very tight envelope. I need to ensure that the degrees of freedom of all components are properly secured inside the machine. To achieve this, I am, for instance, designing elastic hinges and aluminum sand-casted parts.
Besides this project, I am also system architect of a placement head that places electrical components at high speed and at sub-micron accuracy. The multidisciplinary project team consists among others of a magnetics engineer, a hardware engineer, a software engineer and a mechanical engineer. Together, we made a conceptual design for a prototype to validate our concept. Main characteristics of our design are a state-of-the-art flexure design combined with some custom designed, high power density voice coil actuators that are manufactured in-house. As a system architect, I am involved in all aspects of the design process, like having discussions with our machining department about available tooling and achievable tolerances. Or having discussions with suppliers about possibilities with regard to surface treatments, or having discussions with our logistics department about transport tooling and packaging, or actually assembling and testing the first prototypes. Furthermore, I am in close contact with our customer about system requirements and performance.
I like being a Prodriver since I get the responsibility and trust that motivates me every day to develop high-end products in an inspiring environment with talented colleagues and the best facilities
Mechanical engineer profile
- BSc, BEng or MSc Mechanical Engineering
- Familiar with 3D mechanical design software – preferably Siemens NX
- Knowledge of systems design, structural analysis and design principles
- Affinity with design for manufacturability (DFM)
Pros and cons
- Getting the responsibility and trust that motivates me every day to develop high-end products in an inspiring environment with talented colleagues and the best facilities
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1300 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.