The Advanced Camera Systems product line covers our various types of camera systems. We develop advanced technology solutions in which we integrate different types of sensors ranging from standard to customer specific imagers. This is enabled by our key competences in optics, ultra-high vacuum, precision mechanics, high speed data electronics, and low noise precision electronics. We design with focus on in-house series production. To achieve this, high-end cleanroom production processes are developed within our development teams, where knowledge such as contamination control, imager placement, wire bonding, interferometry, microscopy, and functional testing is combined. Research is currently performed towards the realization of a standard product portfolio of advanced cameras that support existing customers and to create a starting point for new markets.
I started at Prodrive Technologies directly after receiving my master’s degree in applied physics, two years ago. I wanted to solve new technological challenges with creative colleagues, but I did not know exactly what role would suit me. Prodrive Technologies offered me the opportunity to become part of a small but ambitious design team, defining the next generation of custom power modules. Innovation in power module technology proves to be essential in the development of efficient electric cars. While bringing alive our new designs, I found myself developing the latest chip integration technologies in our cleanroom. Basically, I get to play with very expensive toys in order to bring about the newest technologies for making power modules.
A big benefit to Prodrive Technologies is that I can be mobile and grow in my field of interest, due to the extensive variety of competences we have available. In addition to power electronics, I am now involved in the design of exceptionally complex bonding processes for a high-end electron beam detector module. For this I surround myself with experts in the field, to combine and even expand multiple technologies beyond their current limits. The additional challenge here lies in designing a solution that is also suited for series production.
Inspiration is a reward, not a prerequisite
Pros and cons
- Freedom to find the role that suits me and that I find most enjoyable
- Working within a company filled with young, passionate people
- Being involved in the development of products that may have a meaningful impact
- We’re continuously experiencing growth in our process development department. If we had a larger number of talented process developers, we could engage in even more fascinating projects.
I like to start my days early around 7 o'clock. With a cup of coffee I check my mailbox and prioritize my open actions. Later in the morning, I have meetings to align with my project teams, customers, supply chain, operations or other relevant connections. My days vary a lot from each other; some days I’m running from one meeting to another, some days I’m a day offsite at a customer or I check with my colleagues how we continue. I don’t manage people by telling them what to do. As a project manager I enable and support the project team and the rest of the organization to create the most amazing solutions for our customers. I mainly operate in the product line Advanced Cameras where we define, develop and maintain high-end camera products and their production processes. I am working at Prodrive Technologies for 11 years now, because Prodrive Technologies is continuously growing and exploring new technologies it is never boring here.
Grass doesn’t grow by pulling it, but by feeding its roots
Project manager profile
- BSc, BEng or MSc in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronic, Industrial engineering or Physics
- Strong communication skills
- Being able to keep overview
- Generalist, not specialist
Pros and cons
- Every day is different
- Creating very cool products
- Working with the most talented people
- The organization is always focusing on minimizing overhead
- I have a lot of communication interfaces in my projects and you can never satisfy everyone
These times are exciting. In the past months, I worked on the prototypes of a laser module, which is the sensing element in our fine particle sensor. It will be produced in series quite soon! I still find it hard to believe that the product I designed will be used in over a million cars worldwide. Before we get there, all the final tooling for production needs to be qualified.
One of the challenges we face is with our injection molded lenses. The prototype tool worked fine, but after replacement with the final tooling, the laser bundle is very distorted. This is a disaster, as our fully automated production line will be out of lenses soon!
We take maximum effort in finding the root cause. I run simulations to mimic the result in the lab, check functionality of the lens like focus and light output, and even decide to damage the good lenses to see what the impact is. I find that it is the coherent behavior of the laser light that is causing us trouble.
For our supplier, it is extremely difficult to check the performance of the lenses, as they do not have a laser setup that they can use. I decide to setup a tabletop optical qualification system, such that I can perform tests at their site.
At the supplier, we have a live process optimization session; the supplier tunes the injection molding process and I assemble the lenses to see which parameters work best. Afterwards, we compare the best and worst lenses, and manage to find our missing production tolerance! Now the supplier knows which parameter they should check to produce lenses for our laser system.
I love these technical discussions, which I also have at work with colleagues. It shows that by combining the talents and knowledge of multiple people, you can solve more difficult problems than you could have solved just by yourself. This is what I experience every day at Prodrive Technologies.
People with different knowledge and ideas make the best partners
Pros and cons
- Flexibility of working hours. Good weather? See you tomorrow, guys!
- Young colleagues; sometimes it feels like I haven’t left university. People see challenges instead of problems.
- The company is expanding. This creates an environment where everything seems possible. My lab is amazingly equipped and there are so many projects that I can pick the ones I like.
- I work only 4 days a week and that sometimes results in missing the action.
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1380 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.