Prodrive Technologies is working towards full automation of their factories. To support that, a lot of internal software has been and is being developed. One of the biggest projects is our own MES (Manufacturing Execution System), which supports the manufacturing process and controls, partially or fully, many of the machines.
I develop features for the internal manufacturing execution system which controls Prodrive Technologies’ manufacturing. The demands in the factory change rapidly and my job is to support those demands with high-quality software which takes the load off manual manufacturing and automates the process. That is why my day-to-day schedule changes constantly. You would be surprised by how dynamic the job of a Software Designer can be.
One thing is constant - my day always starts with a sleepy bus ride to the office. Sometimes I have an early stakeholder meeting to discuss the specifics of the next feature I will be working on, other days I take a cup of coffee and write code until lunch. When I get stuck on a problem, I often go down the hall to ask one of my co-workers for their advice. One reason I love working at Prodrive Technologies is that everyone is always open to help you out and brainstorm with you.
In the software department you can always guess when it’s time for lunch without looking at the clock. When 11.30am strikes (early I know, but coding makes us hungry) everyone’s inner alarm rings and we head to the canteen. There, my colleagues and I sit and chat whilst enjoying some nice food from the Prodrive Technologies kitchen.
After lunch, I head back to my office and start tackling the rest of the day. I work on both back-end and front-end which I personally enjoy very much. Whatever it is that I am working on, it is important to test it. Sometimes I spend a whole day on testing to make sure that when the solution is deployed it is durable and reliable.
Of course, it can happen that a critical error occurs in the system and it threatens to halt production. Within minutes, the responsible engineer is contacted for support. If it is me, I drop whatever I am doing and try to solve the problem as quick as possible. Prodrive Technologies’ manufacturing operates around the clock, so every second matters. And people say software engineering is not exciting.
If it didn’t make me happy, it wouldn’t be my job
Application software engineer profile
- BSc, BEng or MSc in Computer Science
- ASP.NET, .NET, C#, F#, SQL, TypeScript, HTML, LESS/CSS and WPF
Pros and cons
- Freedom to express ideas and be heard
- The opportunity to take on as much responsibility as you’re comfortable with
- A fun environment with many international coworkers
- Flexible work hours
- Exciting variety of work assignments
- I get distracted reading the Prodrive news
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1380 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.