What development for Embedded Systems is all about
Interconnecting devices through the Internet to collect data and with this, improve efficiency and optimize usage of the available equipment, that is what Embedded Systems is all about.
Prodrive Technologies portfolio ranges from products that can be used in harsh environments, such as high powered machinery and vehicles, to products for residential application, such as smart thermostats and gateway.
What I like about Prodrive Technologies is that we develop our own software and hardware, while most companies which are active in the Internet of Things industry focus mainly on software. Being in full control of the software and hardware enables us to offer highly competitive solutions.
My usual day at work starts off with a beautiful bike ride to Prodrive Technologies. After arriving at work, it is time for the best thing to start the day with: a cup of good coffee.
The first thing on my agenda is a conference call with the customer to discuss the project’s progress. Specifically, this meeting is quite important, since next month a software release for the Telematics product is planned.
Just before lunch, I scheduled a meeting with Merijn about the implementation of a new functionality for the Telematics product. To finalize the boardsupport layer we need to design a state machine which handles the wireless connections of the product. The application will interact with the state machine to enable WLAN or cellular. The state machine will take care of maintaining an active WLAN or cellular connection to being able to push the gathered data to the cloud.
Within Prodrive Technologies you can have quite a lot of freedom and responsibility. For example, as an embedded software developer I need to make sure the software I am end-responsible for is tested thoroughly before being deployed in the field.
During lunch I get to enjoy a healthy meal in the cafeteria and a brief walk outside. After lunch I head straight to the lab to setup the nightly run tests. Testing software and hardware separately is important but running integrations tests is key before deploying any new functionality in the field. These nightly tests run every night to assure both software and hardware are still working correctly.
In the evening I planned some drinks with my colleagues at my place to look back at another productive day.
If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you
Software engineer profile
- BSc, BEng or MSc in Computer Science
- For Front-end: ASP.NET, .NET, C#, TypeScript, HTML, LESS/CSS and WPF
- For Back-end: .NET, C#, F#, SQL and WCF
- For Embedded: C/C++ for DSPs/MCUs at a low software level, implementing control loops and microcontrollers like ARM (Cortex-M) or TI C2000 etc.
Pros and cons
- Flexibility of working hours, even during weekdays and holidays
- The possibility to work from home
- Team building activities with the project team
- Free healthy and nutritious lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Fitness facilities on the grounds
- The fitness coach keeps signing me up for the various fitness activities
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1300 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.