Global category management
As a Category Manager you are responsible for sourcing highly complex and innovative technologies for cutting-edge projects. This is done while minimizing risk on commercial, technological and logistical level. Per Category you are managing relationships with vendors and manufacturers while capturing cost reductions and continuously developing and executing the category strategy.
As the current process representative for the US supply chain, my story is a unique one. I began my Prodrive Technologies career as our first ever marketing employee, and I quickly helped to establish outbound marketing activities. However, as the 2nd US employee in such a new venture, the need arose for someone to establish our local supply chain. With a strong background of business acumen and a vision for the tremendous opportunity that is Prodrive Technologies’ US headquarters, I happily took the opportunity. Now, I primarily spend each day taking another step to building and fortifying our supply chain.
My workdays typically start with alignment calls between myself and the various global category managers in the Netherlands. This allows us to align the global supply chain strategy as I work to develop our supply base in the US. Once we have defined the respective strategies, I then work with our US suppliers to source the product components for our production orders and source the ancillary materials we need to establish and run our US facility. This involves evaluating potential suppliers, negotiating pricing, managing lead times, and developing existing supplier relationships. I also work with our planning team to receive customer orders and create and adjust corresponding production orders. This all cumulates into my continuous support of the newly established US headquarters. The strong culture and workplace environment here is something that truly motivates me and creates a very rewarding and ultimately fun place to work.
Being responsible for managing the US supply chain at just 23 years old is an incredibly rewarding experience
Boston category buyer profile
- Bachelor or Master degree, technical or business oriented
- Experience in technical (work or study) environment is preferred
- You are result driven, persuasive and structured
- You have the desire and drive to excel in your field of work
- Experience in purchasing is preferred
- A passion for technology
Pros and cons
- Incredible responsibilities and experience hard to find elsewhere
- Startup nature of the US facility creates a great working environment
- Freedom to define my own strategy
- Overtime compensation → The harder you work, the more you earn
- Startup nature requires much more time commitment than other jobs
I like to start my days early with a hot cup of tea. In the morning, I go through my mailbox, release the orders from the day before and prioritize my work for the day. My schedule is very dynamic. Some days it is filled with conference calls and meetings and other days I mostly work at my desk.
When I have meetings. I prepare them before-hand and align with my colleagues when needed. Manufacturers often visit to promote their portfolio, discuss ongoing projects, discuss contracting agreements, negotiate on component packages, etc.
Prodrive Technologies aims to make their own power modules, where I am responsible for sourcing the bare dies. Together with the design team, I often have technical meetings with different manufacturers who can provide these dies to us, as well as manufacturers who can provide more knowledge about the processes of sintering, wire bonding, qualification, etc.
On other days, I am in my office following up on emails, placing orders, going through the missing parts lists or preparing RFQs for project proposals. Meanwhile, I try to improve my Dutch by practicing with my colleagues.
Before closing my laptop, I go through my to-do list and check what I have done during the day. I like to close off with an hour at the gym or a yoga class and then drive home.
Everyday challenges that lead to personal and professional growth
Category manager profile
- BSc, BEng or MSc degree, technical or business oriented
- Team player with strong communication skills (English is essential)
- Good time management, ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Has commercial awareness and a good judgement
- Result driven and analytically minded
- Good communication skills
Pros and cons
- Flexible working hours
- Young and dynamic culture
- All the side benefits (free lunch & dinner, free gym, unlimited budget for studies or courses, managing your own pension etc.)
- Office with lake view, where you can also enjoy an after lunch walk
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1300 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.