At the cable department we are making (almost) all the cables what we use inside all the products we make at Prodrive Technologies. We also send cables directly to the customer. The cables we make are varying from small single connections to whole assemblies inside cabinets and big power cables.
I begin every day by checking my mailbox and the Work Preparation mailbox – mostly to see if there are any problems to solve from the previous evening or if any drawings from a designer came in for review. Secondly, I check the agenda to see which orders are the most important. In total, there are 5 work preparators working on the Cable Harness Manufacturing (CHM) Department, so we divide the work between us.
I mostly create Product Assembly Documents (PAD) for prototype orders. I always begin with the technical drawing, which needs to be reviewed and accepted by one of the other Work Preparators. This is my favorite task – the process of creating and seeing the product arise. Based on a technical drawing, I create the whole product step by step, taking under the consideration the working details, machines and tools. I focus on making a clear and simple instruction in the PAD.
Sometimes we need to change the design completely together with team that developed the initial design. When we notice that something is not possible during production, my knowledge and experience is very helpful, because we can find a different solution quickly. After my PAD is ready, I send it for review to one of Work Preparators from the Cable Department and after it’s accepted it is reviewed by the Product Manufacturing Architect. Completely accepted PADs can be linked to a product and are then put into series production on the work floor.
Sometimes cable projects are really complicated, and they require a lot of work, which makes the satisfaction of a finished product even greater. This job gives me satisfaction and the opportunity to deepen my knowledge.
This work gives me satisfaction and the opportunity to deepen my knowledge
Work preparation engineer profile
MBO, BSc or BEng in Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Industrial Engineering or Applied physics or a related technical education
(Preferably) Working in 2 shifts
Good communication skills
Authorized to work in the US (for Boston/Canton applications only)
Pros and cons
Flexible working hours
Variety of work – every day looks different
Cooperation with competent people
New projects, new opportunities
Opportunity for development
Work in good atmosphere
When arrived in the building, I go to the lockers and put on my Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) shoes and ESD jacket. I walk to my department, where I greet my colleagues and go to my work place. I turn on the pc and start my daily job linking the Product Assembly Documents (PAD’s) to the incoming production orders for the upcoming days/weeks. After this, I look in the portal what orders are of high priority on our floor and take an order to start my work. Most of the orders I am responsible for include the production of test cables for internal test systems. I really enjoy doing this because I only have a drawing and components, so I need to figure out what I need to do and how to do it. While I am doing this, my colleagues come to me for questions, to ask for help or to inspect their order to keep the quality of our products high. Currently, I have the responsibility to do a quality check on all the cables that are produced in our cable department in our facility in China.
I’m also a mentor to new employees in our group during their first weeks; I am there to help, guide and answer all their questions where possible.
I’m going to work happy and motivated because I really like what I’m doing and here is a positive atmosphere. For me, Prodrive Technologies is a nice and good workplace because I enjoy what I’m doing and that’s a good motivation to go to work.
The organization at our floor is at a good level and it is clear what I must do all day. Next to that, we have a good and strong team and know from each other what we can and cannot do, which makes us even stronger.
I’m going to work happy and motivated because I really like what I’m doing and there is a positive atmosphere
Passionate about technology; we do not require technical background/experience.
Responsible for your tasks and take initiative.
Ambitious and want to learn.
Detail-oriented and result-driven.
Good communication in English.
Want to work in 2 shifts weekly schedule: Morning shift 06:00 - 14:30/ Afternoon shift 14:30 – 23:30, on Fridays 14:30 – 21:00.
Pros and cons
Free phone and tablet
Free lunch and dinner
The possibility to grow quickly in the company
Time for time: if I make overtime I can get paid extra or have more holidays
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Overtime hours can be completely paid out
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 33 vacation days
- Retirement plan
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application within 5 working days.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise.
- If we want to make you an offer and there's enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.