Producing with highly-automated milling machines
We are aiming for a fully automatic milling machine area. This means that a robot is placing and taking pallets and product in and out of the machine.
The Makino D500, Matsuura Lumex Avance-25, Hermle C60 and Datron MLCube machines make impossible things possible. High accuracy and large working space gives almost unlimited milling possibilities, which is very useful in our industry. The milling process is finished at the inspection station. Products are tested on a coordinate measuring machine with an accuracy of 0.001 mm. Some of our products save lives, so there is no room for carelessness.
I start my day by checking if all machines are up and running. This is very important, because we are not making any products if the machines do nothing. As the machines are expensive, we try to have them operational all the time. If a machine is not doing anything, I ask a Technician to prepare an order so that it can be milled on the machine that was doing nothing.
During the day I am programming products, so that they can be milled on the machines automatically. The products I program vary from coffee mugs to heat sinks for computers.
A day without milling is a day without stress
Work preparation engineer profile
- MBO, BSc or BEng in Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Industrial Engineering or Applied physics or a related technical education
- Hands-on attitude
- Working in 2 shifts
- Good communication skills
Pros and cons
- Thanks to my internship at Prodrive Technologies I got a fulltime job
- Since I am working as a work preparatory I don’t have to go to the gym anymore
Each evening I wait until I get the shift transfer from my colleagues. This gives us insight in our progress and information about possible complications.
Some people start their day with coffee, but I prefer to train hard in our company gym. It warms up my mind and body for work.
According to the planning and information from the shift before, I begin preparing the tools and machines together with Sebastian and Rick. Our job is not light and simple, but the technologies we use makes it much easier. Everyone who work with machines regularly is impressed by our department. Like I always say, “It’s better to drive a Bentley than a Fiat, right?”.
Currently half of our team is focused on creating clamping systems for new milling machines and molds for the injection molding department. We find solutions ourselves for many production problems and improve our processes with new technologies that make things simpler. I’m never bored at work and I learned many things so far, but it’s just a small fraction of what I can still learn at Prodrive Technologies.
It’s better to drive a Bentley than a Fiat, right?
- Hands on mentality
- Passion for technology
- Working in 2 shifts
Pros and cons
- Perfect working environment (top machines, prime organization)
- Most friendly and helpful team I’ve ever worked with
- Development opportunities
- Company gym
The Prodrive Technologies Mindset
You don’t just go to work, you feel responsible for your project
You decide when, where and how much you want to work
You like to think about manufacturability when designing
You don’t sit and wait, you have a hands-on mentality
0Employees, of which 1300 fulltime
0Annual growth over the last 20 years
0Average age of our employees
0The year Prodrive Technologies was founded
What we offer
- Perfect environment for people willing to take full responsibility in a project
- Unlimited growth opportunities and freedom in taking different roles in different projects
- We are open 24/7 and provide lunch, dinner and a company gym
- Young and dynamic culture
- Unlimited personal budget for training courses, classes or studies
- We keep management positions to a minimum, so there is virtually no hierarchy
- Create your future with your own personal development plan
- Tools and equipment such as an iPhone, iPad and laptop
- The flexibility to work wherever and how much you want
- Salary that grows with your performance
- Opportunity to become a shareholder and entrepreneur in the company
- Travel allowance based on the days you are actually at Prodrive
- 31 Holidays
- Money for retirement
- Distribution of profits
- We’ll take a look at your application as soon as possible.
- You will receive a link to Prodrive Technologies’ online aptitude test to see if you’re up for the challenge.
- We will set you up for a personal interview to ask you difficult questions about yourself. Afterwards, others will ask you some more difficult questions about your expertise. We will immediately decide if we will make you an offer after the interviews.
- When there’s enough time left, we will discuss employment conditions directly after the interviews.
- If you survived everything, only your signature stands between you and being a Prodriver.